Discover Your Camera!

Do you have a good camera and don't know how to use it?
I can teach you all the buttons, dials and menus you can handle.
Start taking photographs that you like!
Hands on instruction: 1 person-$50/2 hours or 2 persons-$75/2 hours
Contact me: klmilstein@aol.com

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

North shore of Boston - getting better exposure


















































Our German friends, Ulli and Norbert, came to visit this fall and arrived on Halloween! I thought this was a less that perfect time of year to be here - not quite fall and not quite winter. But they brought lots of ideas about where to go and after some discussion we ruled out going north and they decided to concentrate on the north shore, Boston, Cape Cod, and Nantucket. Their guide book suggested a tour of the north shore which began in Ipswich, then Castle Hill/Crane's beach, (the first 6 images), and down 133 with a side trip to Wingaersheek beach (the 7th image). We took a short ride going north on 128 and got off at 127 going north to Annisquam and around to Rockport ( a fun place to take pictures but not today) and Gloucester. Because we didn't want to retrace our route we took 1A back north (the last 2 images) to Newburyport where we had dinner at the Black Cow. "This reminds us so much of England!" they said.
A beautiful day makes it easy to take pictures but there are a few things to remember. I used a polarizing filter most of the afternoon which saturated the sky but could make shadows deeper. In Photoshop there is an Image Adjustment called Shadows and Highlights. That will take care of the shadows when they get a little too deep because you are exposing for the highlights. Remember: expose for the highlights and let the shadows fall where they may. When I use the shadows/highlights adjustment tool I like to set the amount slider and the tonal width slider to very nearly the same physical place on the sliders then I set the radius slider to the right of both of them. I think this gives the most realistic rendition while lightening the shadows. I did this to the photo of the scary looking leafless tree I took at the Crane Estate on Castle Hill.
Castle Hill is a beautiful place to hike any time of year and the beach is long and shallow! Views of the salt marshes are especially pretty this time of year because the grass colors are mostly yellow and orange. The places we visited surprised me. I didn't think there would be so many photo opportunities this time of year. I guess a photographer needs an open mind.

No comments: