Discover Your Camera!

Do you have a good camera and don't know how to use it?
I can teach you all the buttons, dials and menus you can handle.
Start taking photographs that you like!
Hands on instruction: 1 person-$50/2 hours or 2 persons-$75/2 hours
Contact me: klmilstein@aol.com

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

My Year at the Marsh

I drive by this marshy area everyday.  I'm always going somewhere - the gym, the grocery store, the mall.  It's right off of boring, ugly Route 110 in Haverhill, Mass.  Sometimes I see a great blue heron or a duck or two.  Most of the time I don't notice it at all.
I read about photographing in our own "backyard".  I read about going back to an area  many times to really discover what's there.  It doesn't seem that exciting.  But in between the WOW! workshops and the gorgeous sunsets of a scuba trip I want to have something to photograph.  I want to have somewhere I must go every week.  I want to have a project!
 East Meadow River Marsh - Jan 8
So this year my little marsh (yes, I think of it now as "my little marsh") is what I will photograph each and every week of this year 2014.  Having said that, I did that 3 out of the 4 weeks of January.  Oops! But I did not give up.  This is as much an exercise in discipline as it is in creativity.
I had decisions to make.  Should I stick with one view? One focal length? The same time of day?  The same day of the week? I started off by answering those questions with yes, yes, no and no.  I chose this view at 35mm.
Jan 15 - nice morning light.
The same time of day was impossible.  I want to explore the marsh in all kinds of light as I explore it at different seasons of the year.  I've also switched my perspective around a bit as you will see.  I regret I haven't written a monthly blog.  I will catch up in the next few weeks.
Jan 18
January was cold.  It kept snowing every other week.  February was no different.  The winter seemed never-ending.  But my little marsh changed every time I stopped to take a photograph.  Afternoon light, morning light and midday sun - all different.

Feb 6 - the midday sun washes out the color.
Feb 16 - trying to catch an interesting sunset.  How does one predict a sunset with color?
Feb 19 - more snow and the right side of the marsh.  Looks like a meadow doesn't it?
Feb 28 - a little warmth shows the river's direction.  Oops, the power lines cast a shadow in midday!

The next two months, March and April, show big changes in my little marsh.  It's definitely spring!  And I've learned much about photographing this scene.  



No comments: